Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rabbit Hole (again ...)


"Rabbit Hole", ink and paper, 21cm (H) x 30cm (W)

I know, I know ... the background was so poorly painted that I should not display it at all. Or at least I should crop it better before uploading it.


The fact is I'm loving everything about this drawing. I don't know why. And I can't quite put a finger on the feelings I have when I'm looking at it.


I love animals and intend to become good at drawing them. But I'm never into rabbits. Yes, they're cute and that's about it. And the reason why I did this drawing was because of all these bunnies cropping up everywhere. (Read my earlier post here.) So I took that as a "sign" to make a drawing of rabbits. Well, basically to "exorcise" them out of my system. :D


But after finishing the rabbit, I kept looking at it and looking at it and looking at it. I can't quite tear my eyes from the bunny. And then I started to think about the other rabbit which was about to jump out from the rabbit hole. What does it look like? BANG! I remembered I had written about my ears turning into bunny ears. OMG, that was ME climbing out from the rabbit hole! I swear that I wasn't thinking about myself when I was working on the 2nd rabbit. Actually I wasn't thinking of anything at all. It just happened.


This is really freaky but in a kind of nice way, I think. ;)


As usual, my fellow bloggers and creatives, I'd love to know what you think about this drawing.


P.S. Wonder if I'll regret of putting this drawing up when I become a world famous artist someday, hahaha!

15 comments:

EVA said...

I love it!

It looks so Peter Rabbit like - but funnier. The ears of the emerging rabbit surprised me and`made me laugh.

I can imagine someone wanting to hang it in a nursery.

Another lovely creation!

tishalou said...

I agree with Eva about the Peter Rabbit look of the drawing - it also has a very Easter-like feel to it. The shape of the background color has a nice egg shape.
-Tisha

Sunflower Design said...

I like your rabbit drawing. And if you aren't happy with the border, just add some texture or twine an ivy around it :-)
You've got a lot of character here!

organicsyes said...

LOVE the "freaky-ness"....this image reminds me of children's book illustrations that I have loved over the years.

Welcome spring...and new beginnings! Good luck getting the rabbits out of your system;)

Sandy Coleman said...

This is so cute and intriguing. I like it a lot. And what an interesting look into your creative process. Thanks.

linda said...

I think it's amazing you are teaching yourself and you illustrate very well...don't put yourself down! I like the expression on his face and a good story can probably come from this scene :)

Kat W said...

Oh the rabbit is adorable & there are so many potential stories behind the ears popping out of the hole. For this reason I love this picture. I also enjoyed your story behind the ears :-)
Kat

PS. The word verification for this comment is "hanikims" - kind of sounds like a bunny name, similar to bunnykins.

Leone said...

Again you have made me smile. Your bunny is so cute and I love your interpretation - so much talent!

WrightStuff said...

Oh it's so cutesy. What's wrong with the background? It looks like an illustration from a children's book. When I was a child I was always drawing bunnies :)

Amy said...

I like this one because I can get lost in it's simplisity and let a story form in my mind about the rabbits. And the background is fine, feels like a stormy evening is approaching.

IllusiveBlue said...

i adore this, its so whimsical and beautiful!

Angie said...

Just in time for easter!
Bunny rabbits and furry ears coming out of holes, how very adorable.Love your picture.

Also will send you an art tag soon, just need your mailing address xx

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Just had a quick look through all the other comments and Beatrix Potter / Peter Rabbit are mentioned several times. I do think your drawing style is very much that of an illustrator. Perhaps the 'you' emerging is the artist who is gradually becoming bracer and revealing more of herself to the world via this blog?!
Janice.

Unknown said...

This is lovely, whimsical. I think of the Velveteen Rabbit. I loved that story...

Julie said...

Yes I think it is you coming out of hiding and sharing your amazing talent with the world.